The oldest of all the city parks, this space opened July 15, 1865 and was the site of Sunday evening open air union church services. The tree-ornamented park, located at the south end of Fulton Street hosts the Christmas Star during the holiday season. The beautiful gazebo is home to small concerts in all seasons, and it is often a backdrop for wedding photographs. The park is surrounded by some of Wauseon oldest homes, including the Trouvelle home which is one of the only structures in Wasueon to be included on the National Record of Historic Places. South Park includes new playground equipment and two lighed basketball courts. The park has been the site of the Downtown Wauseon Association Summer Family Film Festival. Parking is limited to East and West Park Streets that surround the park.
Dedicated June 24th, 1924, Memorial Park is an earler name for this lovely park located on West Elm Street, just outside of the downtown Wauseon area. The park site is a hill, the highest elevation in Wauseon, that slopes gently toward the three streets that surround its location. On the east side of the park is a historic marker, dedicated to the memory of the local residents who participated in the Civil War. Across the street to the west of the park is the Fulton County Historical Society Museum. The park includes a small playground and large swing set. A half-court basketball facility is located at the top of the hill. This park does not include any restroom facilities, and parking is on Madison and Monroe Streets to the east and west of the park. The sloping hill is covered with old and new growth trees. The permanent grills suggest a great site for a picnic on the grass.
Frank Reighard was the editor of a local newspaper. He sold land to the city that is now the locaton of Reighard Park. Deicated in 1940, the park has become a focal point for many reunions and gatherings. The park features three shelter houses named after local Indian tribes; the Potawatomi Lodge, the Ottowa Lodge, and the Shawnee Lodge. Until 2012, the park was the site of the Wauseon Swimming Pool. A plaque on the bath house attests to the work of the WPA completing the facility in 1941. The park also includes the renewed and lighted outdoor tennis facility, a full basketball court and volleyball court. In 2013, the Imagination Kingdom, a children's playground and community project was dedicated. Ample parking is available on the south side of the park in marked spaces, and by the former pool site, also along Parview Street on the north side, and by the tennis courts. Restroom facilites are available at this city park.
Dedicated on July 15, 1970, Depot Park stretches along the north side of the tracks in downtown Wausoen between Fulton and North Brunell streets. The main feature of the park is the Historic Wauseon Depot building, constructed in 1896 and listed on the Secretary of the Interior's National Register of Historic Places. Although the last passenger service to Wauseon ended in 1957, park guests may watch for the Amtrack line that passes by the Depot daily. The Fulton County Historical Society restored the Depot in 1975, and the group currently houses artifacts relevant to the history of the eight railroads that once traversed the county. A restored Baltimore & Ohio caboose is also located on this site and is available for tours. Model train enthusiasts will enjoy the large "O" gauge working model train display created by the Swanton Area Model Railroad Club. Depot Park also includes a child-sized wooden play train and horseshoe pits. Ample parking is available in a lot to the east of the Depot. Restroom facilities are not available.
In the developing economy of early Wauseon, multiple rail systems passed through our community. The Wabash Park, located on Ottokee Street is named for one of these railroad lines. The park has a history of winter ice skating and hockey games. Under the shadow of the oldest remaining Wauseon water tower, the park hosts the city skate park, a half-court basketball court, and playground facilities. Wabash Park is the only park in the city system connected with the Cannonball Trail, a blacktopped, scenic and tranquil walking, biking, and rollerblading path. The trail crosses the city from east to west along the former railroad bed. The Cannonball Trail can also be used in the winter for cross country skiing, and the trail will eventually connect to a larger system of trails in Northwest Ohio. Parking for Wabash park is located on Dickman Road or Wabash Street adjacent to the park. No restroom facilities are available.
Located on the northwest corner of Wauseon, the Homecoming Park sits between West Leggett Street and Lawrence Avenue. Access to the park and parking is available from both streets. The park sports a gazebo and restroom facilities by a playground area and a walking/ bicycling/ running track that encircles the entire park. A central feature of the park is the large hill that is used for sledding in the winter and kite flying in the summer. The American Legion pavillion at the park includes a year-round air conditoned and heated shelter house and a covered picnic area. The large steel-framed building was initially designed to include a skating rink for hockey and skating. Homecoming Park, the second largest of Wauseon Parks, includes a soccer field which also can be flooded to serve as an outdoor skating rink during the winter months. The park is named in honor of the annual Wauseon Homecoming which dedicates the proceeds from the event to the Wauseon Park System.
The only park in the Wauseon Parks system to include a fishing pond, the Rotary Park, dedicated on July 9, 1971 is located on Wood Street. The Rotary Shelter House, a year-round air conditioned and heated shelter house, is home to the Wauseon Rotary Club. The facility includes a rental hall that seats up to 125 and a full kitchen. A west bank of windows in the shelter house overlooks the fishing pond and the outdoor seating area. A covered grill pit donated by the Lions Club is located by the outdoor seating area behind the shelter house. Recently added to the park is the Goodwin Preserve, a wooded picnic area with grills and walking path through the woods. A playground area is also available. No restroom facilities are available. Ample parking for the Rotary Shelter House, pond, and Goodwin Preserve is located directly off Wood Street at the front of the park.
The newest of Wauseon's parks, Biddle Park, was named in honor of a contribution by long-term residents Dorothy B. and Clark O. Biddle. The 78 acre park opened in May of 2009. Located on the east side of Wauseon on Glenwood Avenue, Wauseon's largest park hosts the baseball and softball facilities for the summer recreation programs. The expansive park includes diverse facilities including eight baseball/softball fields, two batting cages, three basketball courts, three sand volleyball courts, and nine soccer fields. Ample parking and easy access is available from Glenwood Avenue. Biddle Park has become a site for community celebrations including the Fourth of July Fireworks, and most recently the "Wings Over Wauseon" celebration. Restroom facilities are available. The completed park will include eight additional baseball/softball fields. The green flag at the front of the park is a symbol for everyone in the community that the park and recreation schedule for competition is open and not closed due to weather conditions.